February 24, 2008

Everything's Beautiful at the Ballet

At the Milwaukee Ballet performance of A Midsummer Night's Dream this afternoon, I was surrounded by mothers, grandmothers and little girls. And while it's easy to get caught up thinking about which choreographic ideas are fresh and which are stale. Which dancers can provide the right "zap" for their characters. Or wondering if the story ballet is truly a dead art form. It's important to remember just what a strange and wonderful trip a visit to the ballet can be. In front of me, the mother of a girl (I'd guess she was about 4 or 5) piled up coats on her seat so she could sit high enough to see. Even so, she spent 10 minutes before the lights dimmed looking in wonder around the Marcus Center's Uihlein Hall. "They're so high up," she told her grandmother as she gazed back into the upper rows of the balcony. And I'm sure she was as entranced by the princes and fairies onstage as well.

What did I think of the onstage goings on? See my Culture Club column here.

No comments: